As a leader, you should also assess your organization. You can do this in quiet reflection, a great reason to take a strategic pause. You can gain further insight by asking key colleagues and customers for feedback. You can engage your team in the dialogue.
In fact, the most valuable approach is to gain a variety of perspectives on the following:
- Who are we today, as a team and company?
- What do we bring? What are our signature strengths and talents?
- Are we putting our strengths to use and doing the kind of work we love?
- Are we adding value in ways that mean the most to us, the company, our customers, clients and industry?
- Where are we heading? Are we positioned to create the best possible outcomes now and in the year(s) ahead?
- Are we truly thriving—or just getting by?
Another consideration: Am I (are we) operating in a way that aligns with our values? This is incredibly important, so take your time to thoughtfully reflect on this following:
What do I (we) value most deeply, and what are my (our) greatest motivations?
- Commercial success/revenue/income/wealth
- Building something from the bottom up
- Fixing something that’s broken (turnaround)
- Sustaining success
- Protecting the environment (sustainability)
- Creating the future
- Making a meaningful contribution to company, customers, patients, colleagues, industry, family, friends, community, environment, world, etc.
Take time to assess your reputation with customers and clients. How are you perceived? Are the relationships as strong as they need to be? Are there concerns or problems to be addressed? How can you leverage, change, or improve your reputation?
If you’re still not convinced that slowing down is a good use of time, check out the rest of the ideas in my free ebook: Slow Down to Speed Up®: 36 Actions to Accelerate Success!
With her engaging personality and sophisticated approach to working with senior executives, Liz has developed an outstanding reputation among our Officers and Directors. She is well liked, trusted and highly respected throughout the organization.
– Joseph A. Trunfio, Former President and CEO, Atlantic Health Systems
Download the Slow Down to Speed Up®: 36 Actions to Accelerate Success! PDF for free and get a sample chapter of Slow Down to Speed Up®! by signing up here. As a bonus, you will receive Liz on Leadership delivered straight to your inbox, giving you immediate access to my latest tools and advice.