I recently spent a week in glorious Nantucket with phenomenal global colleagues and my long-time mentor, Alan Weiss. Our small group took a couple of Jeeps down the beach to this lovely lighthouse, an impressive landmark no longer in use. As you look at the photo, you’ll notice the many possible viewpoints:
- from the sandy beach, where I stood taking the photo,
- from the main entrance, looking out over the dunes,
- from windows of the tower, with the longest range view afforded from the lantern room at the structure’s pinnacle.
It got me thinking about the many vantage points a good business leader must consider in helping his or her company truly succeed amid intense competition, pricing pressures, and regulatory scrutiny. As I advise my executive clients, you’ve simply got to view your your business from an array of perspectives:
- from the outside looking in (the customer perspective, along with regulatory and industry points of view),
- standing at the front entrance (where your front line employees interface with customers, work the manufacturing floor, and navigate the daily challenges of execution),
- from the heights of the tower (the executive wing, where long-term, future-focused strategy must be developed using inputs from all the other points of view).
If you aren’t observing your business from different vantage points, you are missing the boat.
Step down from the tower on a regular basis. Speak with your people, talk to your key customers, learn what your top competitors are doing, and make sure you have a thorough lay of the changing regulatory landscape.
Slowing down to capture and integrate these various perspectives is one of the many ways for you to lead, succeed, and thrive in today’s dynamic business climate.
#slowdowntospeedup #strategicpause #leadsucceedandthrive #strategicleadership
I found Liz to be an exceptional consultant for our executive sales leaders. Her direct style of communication, clear expectation setting and collaborative approach drove the performance of our sales leaders to deliver strong double digit results.
– Marlou Janssen, President, Biotronik Inc.
To learn more about a host of pragmatic tools for success, read my new book. Slow Down to Speed Up®: Lead, Succeed, and Thrive in a 24/7 World is a powerful resource for leaders from the C-Suite to the front line. Filled with innovative new approaches, pragmatic tools, and real-life success stories, SDTSU tackles the universal challenge of achieving better, faster, more sustainable results in a world of non-stop demands and constant connectivity. Get your copy today!